4, St Marys St,
" ANYONE CAN BE GOOD IN THE COUNTRY " Oscar Wilde
The company was set up in 1866 by John Magee, originally a small drapery shop in Donegal town. Robert Temple, John Magee's cousin bought the business in 1900 and started selling tweed all over Ireland and the UK.
Magee cloth is renowned for its luxurious quality and beautiful colours, inspired by nature in Donegal. In 1931 Howard Temple joined and the company expanded into making ready-to-wear garments. In 1960 Irish designers Sybil Connolly and Irene Gilbert used Donegal tweed in their collections; the cloth that was used by so many men and women who worked on the land, to keep out the damp and cold now became a fashion statement.
In 1974 Lynn Temple joined Magee and is the current Chairman. Magee started women's wear in 1998. Some recent notable sponsorships have been the Irish rugby team, Munster and the Scotland R.F.U wear Magee. Magee has four shops in Ireland, the main one still on the original site where it began in 1866.